There is nothing quite as good and healthy as getting a good night’s sleep on a regular basis. Healthy sleeping habits are associated with higher levels of happiness and better emotional stability among other benefits. Lack of sleep or in other cases, bad sleep quality is a common problem for many people and it is a problem that if not resolved, can have long lasting effects on their overall health.
However, it is possible to improve the quality of one’s sleep by avoiding certain habits which have been proven to be sleep stoppers.
1. Firstly, it is necessary to avoid exercising too close to bedtime. Exercising in the three hours before getting into bed has been known to raise the temperature of the body making it harder to fall asleep. However, exercising during the day is highly advised.
2. One of the most common sleep inhibitors being experienced in the modern world is technology. Technology, in this case, includes Television, Mobile Phones, Tablets and Smart Phones, In fact, any technology that emits light ought to be avoided in the run-up towards bed time. This is because the light emitted by most of these technologies is responsible for the prevention of Melatonin production in the body hence leading to bad sleep.
3. Taking certain prescription pills and medication has also been associated with lack of sleep. These sleep stoppers include Beta Blockers, Alpha Blockers as well as some anti-depressants. Even some painkillers have been known to inhibit good quality sleep.
4. The intake of certain stimulants such as coffee and sugar before bed has been known to lower the quality of sleep. Coffee contains caffeine which is a well-known stimulant that can stay in the body for as many as 12 hours. This ultimately means that the quality of sleep will be impaired. Even sugar has been known to cause bad sleep because of the changes in hormones and blood sugar levels in the body leading to excessive activeness popularly known as a “sugar rush”. Snacks such as chocolate, sodas and even drinks like tea should, therefore, be avoided before bedtime.
5. Working right before bed time is a poor sleep habit that should be avoided at all costs. This is especially so if one takes work material into the bedroom and goes ahead to work on it. Working before bedtime is a common sleep stopper because it may increase the levels of stress and tension subsequently causing insomnia. On the other hand, working before bedtime can raise the levels of adrenalin in the body, therefore, making it more alert which also leads to insomnia and poor sleep quality.
6. Another thing that ought to be avoided and especially by couples is talking too much at night and especially in cases where it is bound to escalate into heated arguments and disagreements. The rise in stress levels that would be experienced after such arguments may cause bad sleep quality. In fact, the best advice is never to go to bed while in a foul mood.
7. Reading is one of the best habits that anyone can take up.
However, reading captivating and interesting stories and books before sleeping can be a sleep stopper. Reading keeps the mind alert and this makes it quite common for people to read into the wee hours of the morning which in itself is a form of insomnia.